Facilities Prof. I. Rossetti
Apparatus for the synthesis of catalysts and materials
- Oven with rotating autoclaves (hydrothermal synthesis)
- Centrifuge @high speed for nanoparticles recovery (15000 rpm)
- Flame spray pyrolysis apparatus for the one pot synthesis of nanostructured single or mixed oxides
- Vibrating mill for the mechanochemical synthesis of oxides
- Apparatus for the deposition of powders over solid supports by dip-coating
- Apparatis for post synthesis treatment under steam
- Tubular oven operating under inert or oxidising atmosphere (up to 950°C)
Plants for catalytic testing
- Two lines for continuos catalytic reactions, operating at atmospheric pressure up to 900°C, one connected on line with a gaschromatograph (HP, mod. 5890), the other equipped with a cryostat for products condensation and off line analysis
- Two lines operating at high pressure for continuous catalytic reactions, operating up to 100 bar, 850°C. One allows the simultaneous feed of gas and liquids and it is connected online with a gaschromatograph (Agilent, mod. 6890 Plus)
- One line for continuous catalytic reactions, operating at atmospheric pressure up to 900°C, with simultaneous gas and liquid feed. The line is connected with a gaschromatograph (Agilent, mod. 7890)
- One line for photocatalytic testing, operating up to 20 bar, with possible batch or continuous operation, in homogeneous, heterogeneous (liquid/solid or gas/solid) or triphasic asset.
- Two lines for photocatalytic testing operating at atmospheric pressure, one in batch modem the other in batch/semibatch or continuous mode).
- One line for volumetric determination of the absorption/adsorption capacity of materials for different gases (e.g. H2, CH4, CO2) operating up to 100 bar and down to 77K.
- Different analytic equipment is available, such as various gaschromatographs, a ionic chromatograph, one UV-Vis spectrophotometer, one FT IR, conductimeters and pH-meters for the quantification of conversion and selectivities. In case, NMR and mass spectrometry are available through interdipartmental centers.
Equipment for materials and catalysts characterisation
Personal access (P) or shared machine-time upon booking (S), depending on the equipment
- FT-IR (Nicolet Magna 550), with UHV line, gas dosing system and oven for the treatment of the sample
- FT IR Nicolet iS10, with ATR tool
- TPD-TPO-TPR line for temperature programmed testing, continuous or pulsed
- Apparatus for the determination of specific surface area and porosity (Micromeritics, ASAP 2020). The micropores tool is available. It is possible to feed different gases (e.g. H2).
- Apparatus for volumetric chemisorption and adsorption of vapours (Micromeritics, ASAP 2020).
- Microwave disgregator Anton Paar for the dissolution of solid samples.
- X-Rays diffractometer (Phillips, PW 3020).
- TGA-DSC (for TGA Tmax: 900°C, for DSC Tmax 450°C).
- UV-Vis spectrophotometer (Beckman, DU640) with DR cell.
- UV-Vis spectrophotometer (Perkin Elmer Lambda 35)
- Ion chromatograph (Metrohm, 883 IC Plus), with columns for the separation of anions and cations
- EPR/ENDOR analysis.
Software and calculation tools
- AspenONE package: process simulator which includes tools for the evaluation of thermodynamic and transport properties, for steady-state or dynamic simulations, for costs evaluation, optimisation of heat Exchange, piping, control, etc. (personal licence)
- ProII: process simulator (in use)
- Athena Visual Studio: Package for kinetic data elaboration and to model batch and continuous reactors and photoreactors (personal licence).
- Matlab/Simulink (University licence)
- OpenFoam (opensource, in installation). The software allows some fluid dynamic modelling.
The Department is part of different consortia for the use of great equipments. Preferential access for usability and cost is reserved for our Group with respect to external users (ca. 50% saving)
- The list of equipment available thoruhg the advanced microscopy center is listed at this link
- Big equipment such as NMR, Mass spectrometry and elementary analysis (ICP-OES) can be found here http://ciga-unimi.it/pg3.html
- The SmartMatLab center has been recently installed in our Dept. with sophisticated equipment for materials synthesis and characterisation http://users2.unimi.it/smartmatlab/wordpress/